Basic Injury Treatment
The most common physical ailments suffered by track and field athletes are simple muscle soreness, strained muscles, sprained joints, tendinitis and bursitis. Basic injury treatment for low grade injuries typically includes taking anti-inflamatory medication and utilizing the so-called PRICE regimen.
The inflammation which typically accompanies running injuries is characterized by pain, swelling, redness and warmth and is best treated with the use of anti-inflammatory medicines. The most acceptable over-the-counter medications of this type is Ibuprofen and should be taken in the dosages indicated on the packaging.
The PRICE regimen is a treatment program which includes:
- Protection against additional injury may include taping where apropos.
- Ice Application.
- Use crushed ice in a plastic bag or a 2 pound bag of frozen peas (DO NOT USE AS FOOD THEREAFTER).
- Cover the skin with two layers of plastic wrap.
- Place ice bag on injury and compress with an elastic bandage or lycra clothing.
- Ice for 20 minutes, Stop for 10 minutes, Repeat 3 total applications.
- Perform ice applications 3 times daily.
- Compression through elastic bandages or similar modalities